The Castel Brando is one of the famous « American's Houses », typical in the Cap Corse. The mansion was built in 1853 by a doctor of the Napoleonic army, and was later taken over and improved by a local upon his return from Saint-Domingue, where he had spent several decades.
Like many people from the Cap Corse at the time, he went to the Americas and then returned to his native Corsica having made his fortune. He then set about purchasing a luxurious mansion where he proceeded to plant exotic gardens. The valuted ceilings and lime-washed walls contrast beautifully with the terracotta floors, the furnishings and original decorative Corsican objets.